The cost of healthcare in the United States has become exorbitantly expensive. There are a lot of reasons why health care is so expensive in this country, but the reality is that it is often the worker who is left holding the bag. It is true that there are plenty of full-time positions that will offer exceptional insurance packages that can reduce the cost of your medical care. On the other hand, what if you are working part-time?
There are plenty of reasons why you might want to work part-time. Perhaps you are in the process of transitioning to retirement, but you do not yet qualify for Medicare. Or, you might have children or family members you need to take care of at home. Regardless, the idea of purchasing insurance on the open market can be frightening. Paying for health insurance out of pocket can be prohibitively expensive, particularly if you are older or have chronic medical conditions.
The good news is that there are some part-time job opportunities available that could provide you with health insurance. What do you need to know about this process?
The Questions You Need To Ask: Getting Health Insurance With a Part-Time Job
When you interview for a part-time job, one of the first things you will probably ask is whether the job comes with any benefits. Specifically, you will be interested in medical insurance. Some of the most important questions you need to ask include:
- Does this job come with any health insurance benefits?
- If it does come with medical insurance benefits, how much of the insurance policy do you pay for, and what percentage of the insurance policy am I responsible for out-of-pocket?
- Do I have a lot of choices when I am considering my different health insurance options?
- Do I have to work for a certain number of hours in a given month before I qualify for a medical insurance package from the company?
- When you say that you offer medical insurance, does that also come with vision and dental insurance? Or, is that a separate category with a different set of requirements?
- Before I sign a contract, can I have a pamphlet where I can review all of the health insurance options that are available under the company umbrella?
- Do you offer health insurance for my family as well as myself?
Remember that every company has a different way of categorizing someone who is full-time versus someone who is part-time. There is a chance that you might be required to work a certain number of hours in a week before you qualify for medical insurance, and every company has a different limit.
You also need to make sure that the medical insurance packages that they offer are ones that would be helpful for you. If you still have to pay for the policy out of pocket even though you work there part-time, it might not be of much use to you.
Remember That You Might Be Able To Negotiate for Medical Insurance
Even if the company says that they do not provide medical insurance to employees who work part-time, you might be able to negotiate for this benefit. Just as you will probably negotiate your pay, you can also negotiate it for medical insurance. The worst thing they can do is tell you that they are not willing to provide you with medical insurance, so it will not hurt you to ask. Make sure you turn over every rock and exhaust every resource if you are looking for a part-time job that comes with medical insurance.
A Few Positions You Might Want To Consider
If you are looking for a part-time job that might offer health insurance, there are a few companies that you might want to turn to first. A few companies that you should consider applying to include:
- UPS: For a long time, UPS has had a reputation as a great place to work, and they work hard to make sure that their employees are taken care of. Even if you are just a part-time employee, they provide medical, vision, dental, and pharmacy plans. The exact policies from which you can choose will depend on your location and the position you work.
- Starbucks: Starbucks is also a great opportunity for individuals who are interested in working part-time. This is the company that provides access to a wide variety of healthcare plans that you can customize to meet your needs. This is also a company that could help you cover the cost of education if you want to go to school while working.
- Chipotle: Chipotle is one of the most popular fast-casual restaurants in the world, and if you decide to work part-time, they have a variety of benefits packages from which to choose. Some of these packages even provide health insurance, and a few of them even include mental health benefits.
- Lowe’s: If you are interested in learning more about home improvement, you might want to get a job at Lowe’s. You do not necessarily have to be a full-time employee to qualify for health insurance, but the exact nature of the plans that are available to you will depend on your location. Consider asking Lowe’s if they would be willing to provide you with health insurance as a part-time employee.
There are lots of opportunities available, and you might be able to find a part-time job that also comes with health insurance.
Explore All of the Opportunities Available To You With Dream Jobs Inc.!
If you are interested in a part-time job that comes with health insurance benefits, it would be our pleasure to help you. We are Dream Jobs Inc, and we are here to help you explore all of the career opportunities available to you. Even if you are only interested in working part-time, we can provide you with a list of options that could be right for your goals and skills. Fill out our online form today to explore some careers!